The government has announced a new scheme that will allow Homeowners, farmers, business owners and community groups who produce electricity from solar panels and other renewable sources will soon be able to sell their excess power to the national grid.
A scheme for ‘microgenerators’ is being developed and Climate Action Minister Eamon Ryan says he wants it to be running by July this year.
Schools, factories, supermarkets, hotels, commercial premises, public buildings and agricultural buildings with larger roof space – as well as space for ground-mounted solar, individual wind turbines and other forms of microgenerators – have the potential for much higher savings and earnings.
Details of the scheme will be finalised after a public consultation period running from today until February 17, but consultants engaged to come up with proposals favour allowing power companies to offer deals to customers based on the wholesale price of electricity.
The ESB says the network could accommodate widespread microgeneration by households without having to upgrade infrastructure.
Apart from the long-term financial incentives, the push for self-generation of electricity is important in cutting fossil fuel use and reducing carbon emissions.
“This scheme will allow people and communities to become active participants in the energy transition,” said Mr Ryan.
“By producing and selling their own electricity, citizens, farmers, business owners and community organisations can save on their energy costs and reduce their carbon footprint.”
The cost of the scheme is estimated at €20m annually in the early years, which would be funded through an existing levy, the PSO, already charged on electricity bills.
There has never been a better time to contact us for Solar Panels, you get the benefit of our Green Energy Guarantee. As part of this guarantee you get the following:
- A highly qualified electrical engineer to conduct your site survey and design the best solution for your needs (most companies use sales reps who are not electrical engineers)
- Bespoke deign of solar system that will save you the most money
- Our quality guarantee, that we only use the very best Tier 1 PV Solar Panels, bracketing systems, inverters and battery solutions at very competitive prices.
- All Solar Panel Installation’s completed by our highly trained in house team (no subcontracting to third parties)
- Assistance with availing of the SEAI grant
Details of the new scheme can be found on links below: